As Pauleans we are proud of our history; our strong heritage and contemporary approach combine to drive us to strive for excellence in everything we do. To find out more about our history, you can view our interactive timeline.
A brief history of St. Paul’s
In the early years of its history, St. Paul’s developed from being a school which taught boys and girls separately to being fully co-educational. The development of the curriculum reflected the fact that more British children were choosing to complete their education in Brazil rather than return to the UK. From the year it was founded in 1926, until 1967, St. Paul’s offered boarding facilities for its pupils.
The Fundação Anglo-Brasileira de Educação e Cultura was established in 1951. This changed the school’s status from that of a limited company to a foundation governed by a Board of Governors and overseen by trustees. The key mission of the foundation is to promote education, intellectual, spiritual and physical development of young people. It continues to provide crucial support and structure for the school community and maintains our strong and crucial connection with the British Society of São Paulo.
In the 1960s and 1970s, St. Paul’s became a co-educational day school for pupils aged 4-16. In the following decade, in response to a demand for preparation for university entrance in Brazil and overseas, the school registered with São Paulo education authorities as the Escola Britânica de São Paulo. It then introduced the International Baccalaureate Diploma.
Sixth Formers first received their Segundo Grau certificate in 1983 and the first IB Diplomas were awarded in 1987. With 90 years of solid history, the school has earned the reputation of being a leading school in South America and one of the foremost academic establishments of its type, capable of holding its own with the best in Brazil, Latin America and the UK.