The curriculum is made up of the diploma programme core and six subject groups.
Comprising three required components, the core aims to broaden pupils’ educational experience and challenge them to apply their knowledge and skills.
The three core elements are:
- Theory of knowledge, in which pupils reflect on the nature of knowledge and on how we know what we claim to know.
- The extended essay, which is an independent, self-directed piece of research, finishing with a 4,000-word paper.
- Creativity, activity, service, in which pupils complete a project related to those three concepts.
The six subject groups are:
- Studies in language and literature
- Language acquisition
- Individuals and societies
- The arts
Pupils may opt to study an additional science, individuals and societies, or languages course, instead of a course in the arts.